Thursday, October 25, 2018

Words to Live By


I think it's only natural that as a lifelong reader, special quotations and readings have become an important part of my daily life and yoga practice.  Since I started teaching yoga, I've shared readings throughout the classes I guide.  I find these readings and quotations helpful in cultivating a theme for a class, encouraging students to set an intention, providing something to reflect on during long yin and restorative poses, and imparting something to take home at the conclusion of a practice.

In my daily life, my iPhone lock screen is usually a quotation that I've selected to remind myself of my current goal or intention.  I've been known to stick Post-It notes with important quotations to the dash of my vehicle, and I frequently share quotations on my Devon Caldwell Yoga Instagram account.  I find that quotations and readings often give me the boost I need to persevere or try something new.  Sometimes quotations are motivating, thought-provoking, or comforting.  My favourite quotations resonate strongly and say something in a way that I never could.  

When I share quotations (such as the one below), I usually use a photograph I've taken (or a standard purple background like on my Instagram account) and add text using an app on my iPhone.  Favourite apps include Word Swag and Rhonna Designs
Lately I've been asked a lot about the readings I've been sharing in my yoga classes.  Here's where you can learn more about my current favourites:

2) Prayers of Honoring, by Pixie Lighthorse

3) Brave Enough, by Cheryl Strayed

4) Worlds of You: Poetry and Prose, by Beau Taplin 


Additionally, please check out my Pinterest boards where I pin short readings and quotations for both my personal life and yoga teachings. 



Words for Wanderlust (Travel Quotations)

What are your favourite books of poetry and prose? I'd love to hear your suggestions!




No comments:

Post a Comment